Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - "Stupid" Generator Question
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Wally Arntzen

Tuga, Approx two and a half years ago we were sleeping overnight at a WalMart outside of Kansas City and my gererator quit running in the middle of the night. Forunately it was summer and I was running the air conditioner so I waited until morning to call my mechanic friend in Minneapolis and he said it was more than likely the fuel filter. I had one with me and changed it in the parking lot and it started right up.
When I got back home he suggested that I install the Detroit filter with the big glass top to see if I may have a problem with dirty fuel. It got real green and dirty right away and he informed me that I had a fungas problem in my fuel tanks.
I started puting in a fungas removal additive which really loosend it up and had to change the fuel filters about every 500 miles for a little over two years. I fulltime in my coach so that is a lot of fuel filters when I put over 30,000 on my coach every year.
The problem is now solved since when I left Minnesota in october to drive to Arizona and did not use any filters.
The level in the glass bottle raises as the filter is getting used up, if you don't have one they are really cool because you know whats going on and they are very simple to change.
I was changing them in parking lots or anywhere I noticed it was dirty and you just open a drain on the bottom and let about a quart of fuel into a bottle, spin off the top and replace the filter, pour about a half of a pint of fuel back into the filter and your ready to go. I just double bagged the filters and put them into a nearby trash can.
The fungas is a real problem for people with yahts and big boats with large deisel fuel tanks because the sit so long without being used. My friend has a 54' boat and he has had to have 3000 gallons of fuel pumped, cleansed and put back into the tank which cost him nearly $2,000.00 on two occaisions already.
I now put the additive in my fuel about every 4th time I fill the tanks. At the present time I am in Florida visiting my daughter and do have the coach with me so I can't tell what the additive. I think Michael knows what it is.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote