Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Batteries in 80's newells
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
my38special

Default My similar experience

I've got a 83 Newell and experienced a similar trip of despair before I figured out how my charging system functioned, merge switch worked and replaced some electrical parts. Over the course of time, I replaced my merge solenoid and several electrical parts. I also took the time to trace back all my battery lines. In short, I agree that it sounds like you need to replace your merge solenoid; however, make sure you buy a good replacement part. The merge solenoid handles a lot of power at times. I believe the standard replacement part for classic Newells is a Cole Hersee 24106; however, I used an Ametek 15-133 SAS-4202. This identical looking solenoid is rated for 200 continuous amps and has silver contacts (about double the capacity of the standard part). Given the 160 amp alternator you probably have and the times when your batteries need a lot of juice, this tougher solenoid will way outlast the standard part. For the extra few bucks, I figure it is money well spent. I presume you know that the solenoid is located in the small access panel to the right of the engine radiator. If your curious, I've attached a schematic I made and posted in this compartment of my 83 Newell. Of note, on my Newell, someone had also installed an extra battery switch/isolator in the engine bay. Until I found this switch, turned it to connect the protected start battery, I was really in trouble. Perhaps you have a similar "extra" switch to hunt down. Once you get everything running again, to keep things simple, just remember to leave your dash merge switch up or down anytime you have the engine or genie running (so you are charging all your batteries). Select the centre merge position only when you have no engine or genie running and you feel you need to protect your starting batteries.
Attached Images

my38special is offline   Reply With Quote