Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Over the Road Air
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
fulltiming

Richard, I agree that the OTR air is overkill for most folks. It was designed for a bus load of people (40 or 50) during very hot weather. It does an excellent job and can literally freeze you to death in a coach with 2 or 3 people in it. As I recall, OTR air is 10 tons (120,000 BTU) or the equivalent of 8-10 roof airs. Most OTR's also generate about 150,000 BTU of heat.

There is no question that OTR air is BIG (takes up the equivalent of 1 to 1-1/2 bays), EXPENSIVE to buy and to maintain and HEAVY. For the vast majority of RV'ers, OTR air is way overkill. It takes space, load carrying capacity and $'s that would be better spent on things more useful (like a BIG generator that you will actually use).

I have the 12.5 KW genset on my coach (most of you with newer coaches have 17.5 KW or 20 KW) and can run my 4 basement airs without trouble going down the road. I can run the genset non-stop for days at a time if needed and I do run it continuously when traveling if the outside temperature is above 75. In theory, you should shut the generator down every 6 days or so of continuous running for long enough to change the oil.

OTR air is another case of a product designed for a specific purpose (OTR bus) becoming more of a liability when put to a different task (RV). That said, it still gives some bragging rights to be able to cross the desert during the summer in the hottest part of the day with the temperature inside the coach cold enough that you have to wear a coat to be comfortable.

No question that Newell made the best decision.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote