Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Was it love at first sight?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
HoosierDaddy

Well we started 30 years ago with a tent.........then travel trailers, 17'---24'---30' . When our kids became teenagers a motorhome offered more needed room while traveling. After much reading and research I established my basic requirements.....22.5" wheels, air brakes, rear diesel engine, 35-40' long. As I looked at different brands other issues became apparent. A bus conversion was interesting but had some shortcomings. I looked at a couple FC Blue Birds (thus confirming my REAR diesel engine requirement). Any "plastic palace" I looked at had significant short-comings below the surface.
I found our '78 Newell on-line. It was the first Newell I had ever seen. Hmmm, the safety, durability of a bus conversion without the compromises of a bus conversion. It needed a lot of work but it was the kind of repairs that I knew how to do. It was safe, handled well and never let us down on the road (although we did "limp home" a couple times).
The '78 has found a new owner and I am now knee-deep into resurrecting our '93 Newell that I found in a salvage yard........the fun continues!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote