Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Has anyone ever added a roof deck to their coach? Ideas please?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Neweller

Actually, Newell has done quite a few roof decks over the years. You just don't see them that much unless you hang out the races or events where people really use them the most. If fact Skydeck Luxury Coach which Newell refers to them as, have been built with roof observation platforms beginning some 26 years ago.

Typically, Newell decks the roof with aluminum diamond plate, and the rails and ladder are fabricated out of stainless steel tubing by an experienced boat rail maker. Newell will not offer a system with rails that folds down onto the roof like the Skydeck because the Newell roofline is higher than units equipped with the Skydeck, and adding the Skydeck to a Newell would result in a coach being too tall. An additional factor is that many of the top motor racing venues prohibit watching events from the roofs of RVs in the infield, so Newell has experienced a decline in interest for roof observation decks.

Actually constructing a roof deck however entails basic metal fabrication. You can generally build the deck itself from aluminum, using diamond-plate for the decking. Also, finding a shop in your area to build the deck should not be all that difficult. To get a quality look, the preference would be to use stainless steel for the removable railings. Like I stated previously, Newell generally subcontracts the railings to a specialty shop that builds high quality stainless yacht and sailboat railings. There are many such facilities, although they are typically on either coast. Doing a recent search on google and yahoo I found other such company's who make stair systems throughout the inland states as well.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote