Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Newell classic shopper!
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
77neweller

I think if you are patient and do a thorough pre-buy inspection you will be able to buy a reliable and presentable late 70's to early 80's Newell. Depending on who has owned it and how thoroughly maintainance has been done you may not have an unbearable level of stuff that needs work. having said that you will need a slush fund for surprizes any time you buy a big vehicle of this vintage. For instance I had to replace the rubber fuel lines on the engine even though they appeared fine because I was having injector problems from tiny bits of rubber flaking off the inside of the feed hoses. It took a few injectors to figure out what was happening. I have no idea how you would know the hoses were bad just by looking.

You also need to consider the age of tires and batteries in determining what you might need to spend soon. I know lots of people say change the tires every 5-6 years. Well, when I finally learned how to tell the age of my tires I found out the drive tires were 12 years old. They looked good, but ..... do you want to take the risk at that point.
77neweller is offline   Reply With Quote