Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - New to the forum
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
John Dyson

Default New to the forum

Hi all:

A couple years ago when we first purchased our 1980 38' coach...I was able to talk to a few of you with questions....time has passed and we have only been to the desert once about 2 hours from home...then my husband uses it as a "man-cave" while at home...books spread out everywhere, etc. etc.

However, we have decided (kind of on the spur of the moment) to take it to campmeeting 1000 miles away in Oregon. I've been doing a lot of reading on how things work and John is fairly knowledgeable about it, but I do have a few questions I thought you all could help me with...we have done the usual stuff change the oil, new tires, new air conditioners, new air bags all around, new exhaust on the generator, etc.

1) We have a Catepillar 3208 rebuilt with 2000 miles on it and then a Kohler/Perkins diesel generator with 1402 hours on it. We are running at 2500 RPMS at 55 miles per hour...John says "it makes him kind of nervous". Is that where it should be???

2) We are going to be dry camping or boondocking I guess they call it. Any suggestions for conserving anything for about 8 days? Are we nuts or what? We can apparently run the generator as we will be removed from the tenting area. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

3) This morning, noticed a small oil leak, can't find a leak anywhere, but saw some oil...wondering if it is from using the "engine brake" possibly?

Thanks for any help...we are novices for sure.

Cindy Dyson
John Dyson is offline   Reply With Quote