Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Project ends on the ole' 74
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
jwe648

Question Well yes and No...

First I will say it started a project.. For years I've restored things.. I was in the Aircraft maintenance business for over 20 years & I restored or refurbished everything from antiques to jets. My favorite was a 1929 Parks that was once owned and written about by Richard Bach. The other part is we love the outdoors and what go with it. We have a 37ft fifth-wheel with all the toys.. but.. it is sorta a pain to travel in.. so the decision was made to move on to a class A coach. I knew nothing of the Newell until the 74'. the coach needed work and I needed something to do other than my day job.. So it was priced right..I thought..(TBD) and I would not count the time only the $$$ invested.. I had looked at other coaches and tour'd the factory's.. I grew up in the industry as my father was one of the early trailer & camper manufactures also moble homes..
Almost without exception of all the factories I toured I saw construction that was not up to par for the long term.. We all know that highways take there toll on any coach.. I have to put the fifth-wheel back together everytime I use it. When I lived in Fairbanks my father drove his coach up... all the cabinets were on the floor when he arrived.

What I saw in this Newel was solid hand crafted construction. So the project part faded a bit and warmen into "I'll Keep Her'.. and we're not is a rush to part.. The fifth-wheel can go anytime.. Arizona has it challanges however.. 110` for one and the desire to head for the mountians.. the 74 has some limitations.. so I need to decide how to over-come them.. the largest one for AZ is the lack of Coach Air.. We run the Genny and are frosted by both roof air's on low .. the second is a normally asperated engine.. not that it won't pull the long long 7` grade cause it will I just proved it to myself .. fully loaded and a towed behind it.. but it was never really dsigned to do that.... I am capiable of desiging and installing both.. but there is a big $$$$. So my solution at some point is to find something in the late 80's~early 90's and do it again if need be.. Until then I'll keep tweaking the ole' 74.. use it when it cools down a bit.. .. Thiswas not about $$$ There is one other side to this story.. Since I had something to focus on other that TV and going out to eat... I lost over 50 lbs... Project or life saver.. you be the judge...