Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Trickle Battery Charger?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Not sure that the Power Pulse is a Stand Alone Trickle Charger.
I have disconnected mine since I haven't been able to prove Circuit Protection. I sent them an email but didn't hear back and I would much rather see any Fuse or whatever.
I have the Power Pulses on all four of my 8D batteries. They are not a trickle charger. They connect to the positive and negative poles of your battery. Their main purpose is to prevent sulfating, and they work great. As far as a trickle charger is concerned, the best one you can get is to hardwire in a charger/converter that has a three stage charger, plus a desulfating mode. I don't see the point of a battery tender. If you keep the coach plugged in while in storage the charger will spend most of its time in trickle charge mode once the batteries are topped off. Since I have an older Classic the inverter is installed in a separate location. I like this because when all three are combined (inverter/converter/charger) and one goes bad you have to replace the whole thing....very expensive! I use the Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power 80 amp charger/converter. Have not lost a battery since I installed it. I installed the Power Pulses about 18 months ago. They do draw power, so when I am dry camping I disconnect them....I installed quick connects in line to make it easy to take them off line.

Of course, if you can plug the coach in while it is in storage then you can install solar panels that will keep the batteries topped off. I have 2 150 watt panels with a Blue Sky charge controller and monitor....works great, and even has a desulfating mode.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote