Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 1972 Chauffeur
Thread: 1972 Chauffeur
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
HoosierDaddy

I would start in the Ford bin for brake parts. If all else fails you could change the brake back plate. That is what I did on my '78. It had the old Wedge-style air brakes. I got the modern "S" cam style hardware from the salvage yard. You might check into putting disc brakes on the front axle. (especially if you plan to pull a trailer) Most of these parts are interchangeable for many different years. You could rebuild the brake cylinders if the kits are still available. Does your Newell have a remote master cylinder? If so it might be easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit with more modern components. I'm not sure about Newell but most motorhomes of that vintage used "step van" or bread truck style frames and running gear. Many still do. I see them all the time as they come by my house on the way to the manufacturer. The MH frames are black and the step-van frames are galvanized.
If that Generac is belt-driven you might be able to replace the engine with a small diesel engine.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote