Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Jacobs Brake?
Thread: Jacobs Brake?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Richard and Rhonda

Sorry, it's that southern good ole boy talk. Breaking the tires loose means sliding them, a skid.

If you have the jakes on, the come on when you let off the throttle. They are not like regular brakes in that they are either on or off, the amount of braking is proportional to the engine rpm. So, if the road is slick, and you let off the throttle, it's like a very hard application of rear braking. The tires can start to slip on the pavement.

Unlike normal braking where you would simply let up on the brake pedal if this started happening, the only way to get the jakes to release is to feed it some throttle. It's not what one would do instinctively in a skid with a 20 ton vehicle. Plus if it's skidding I don't think I'll have the presence of mind to hunt for the jake brake toggle switch either.

I am not saying don't run with them, just be aware that descending a icy or snowy grade with jakes could have a behavior you need to be aware of.

One more thing, my jakes do interfere with my cruise. If the bus starts down a grade the cruise will back all the way out of the throttle and I feel the jakes come on. Somewhat aggravating to scrub off that speed that will help you up the other side. Not a big deal in flatlands, but definitely aggravating in rolling hills.

Hope this helps with the explanation.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote