Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Use of Super Singles in the RV Market
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
77newell

I've investigated putting them on my 77 coach. I had two interests; 1) they might look incredibly cool, 2) there are some fuel mileage benefits - small but real. I have yet to do it because there are other things I'd rather do first and I've been trying to ascertain the availability of tires in case of an on-the-road problem.

In terms of cost the tire prices for a rear axle would be about the same for wides versus standards. However, you would have to sell the existing rims (and tires if there is useful life left) and then add a bit of money to purchase the wide rims. Economically the calculation showed that given the miles I drive the tires would age out long before wearing out and there are not enough miles with fuel savings to recover the initial added costs.

One additional advantage I've seen reported is that despite the wide tire's overall narrower track the total stability is greater due to the average leverage of the tire being wider.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote