Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Alaska Trip?
Thread: Alaska Trip?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Neweller

The flies were worse going into winter or during the spring and early summer. Late summer and Fall they didn't seem to be a problem. I know one year coming back from Fairbanks in the later part of October going through the Yukon I believe it was a couple hours North of Whitehorse I stopped at a campground where you will see bear of course and long after most RVers have long headed south I experienced the little varmints. I never really got heavily bit by them but I did feel them while others say you don't really feel it. I beg to differ on that. I just finished my business and ran for the vehicle swatting them away. I'll tell ya, when they are not a bother during the summer it is really a fantastic place. Something that locals had told me was they use muskoil to ward them off or I guess DEET will still work. I was also told that they favor running water areas unlike mosquitoes.

In a regular vehicle we didn't have much issue with the rocks flying or damaging anything. But in the Winni Chieftain we did have a screen guard on the front for those portion of the run. Never had any issues with damage there either. The only time I experience damage was in a car while driving up there back in the late 80's and roads have much improved since those days. I'm told its pretty much paved now. Of course the ALCAN will be fine anyway. There is plenty of beauty without going off the beaten path like I'm talking but it's just a pretty cool run.

Never actually made the run a Newell, the Winni was a 36' and was fine.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote