Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Made it to Garrison, MN!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Capnted

Default Keep on movin' on

Thanks to all who responded to my posts.

We're now in Wabash, IN visiting BJ's folks for Christmas. We enjoyed living in the Newell for the summer but moved into the cabin when the advancing MN weather brought 10 below zero temps. In Nov I was suddenly "surplused" by QWEST, so at 20 below I lit a charcoal fire under the engine, fired up the beast, and we drove to Wabash.

Picked up a brand new tow dolly in Mpls & within 12 hours of driving the right tire apparently blew. We drove on it awhile, and by the time I did a walkaround the fender was missing and the wheel was ground down to the size of the hub. Left it by the side of the road & drove both vehicles the rest of the way.

Newell is running well, but defrost & dash heat are inadequate for cold weather, so I'm running with 2 electric heaters on the dash & another on the floor. After 2 electricians, I'm still fighting the charging problem. isolation is now totally messed up. Guess I just need to start over.

Latch on the side door broke & we held it shut with bungees most of the way. Took the assembly out & it had a Ford logo on it! Called Newell & they had one in stock--not bad for a '76! But they wanted $166 for it, so i searched eBay & found one for $12.95. It's from a '71 Mustang.

BJ's brother-in-law has a heated shop with room for the Newell, so we're going to stay here & finish painting the stripes & try to solve some of the ongoing challenges. We found a 2000 Holliday Rambler in perfect condition in town for $31,000. We were sorely tempted, but in the end decided it just didn't feel like home.

God willing, January will find us in FL.

TJ & BJ
Capnted is offline   Reply With Quote