Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 9
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #173
Neweller

A
1209 1/17/2004 6:55:44 AM 1/17/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com GPS SYSTEMS - FACTORY INSTALLED It is interesting to look back at a thread like this that has been running for awhile, in this case almost three years. Like everything else, the world of GPS has changed a bit since 2001. Anyway, as things stand now, we strongly recommend a Pioneer-based GPS navigation system we have developed specifically for our coaches. A little history: About a year and a half ago, (rough guess), we replaced the Alpine GPS system we were offering with a Pioneer system. There were several considerations. At the time, the Alpine data base was on 7 CD's, only one of which could be used at any given time. The Pioneer system uses a single DVD. Much better, particularly going cross country. Also, the Alpine U.S. distributor, in a word, sucked. Alpine USA would run out of key components and not be able to tell us when the next ship was arriving from Japan. It is hard to deliver new coaches with parts missing! Finally, the Pioneer database is a merger from two sources, so it contains more towns, points of interest, etc. Alpine has most likely gone to a DVD based system, so this aspect has probably improved. But the poor support is a deal-killer as far as we are concerned. Another consideration in your selection: we have a great deal of current experience with the Pioneer system and have a two-screen installation well worked out. Changing to any other system as a one-off would amount to a prototype project, with inherent first-time mistakes, no refinements gained from experience, and make it more difficult for us to answer questions and provide service after delivery. Certainly there may be a better GPS system out there now or coming down the road. But first we need to find one and refine the installation for the Newell. A good installation and good after-the-sale support is much more likely if we have the benefit of experience to throw into the equation.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote