Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Newell Rattles?
Thread: Newell Rattles?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Tim Durham

David, the only thing I am aware of that Newell states in regards to rattles is found in their current brochure on page 8 under "Interior Excellence." "The beautifully contoured interior cabinetry is specially secured from floor to ceiling to prevent squeaks & rattles for the life of the coach." I think that we need to put some things in perspective. I own a 2000 Newell 45', two slides, with 140,000 miles. I am the second owner of this coach, but this is my first Newell and I couldn't be happier with it. I drove many miles in "high-end" bus conversions from all the major converters over all types of road surfaces. They all rattled, or squeaked, or popped, or made some kind of noise at some point - whether they were new or used. Then I drove and bought a Newell. I previously owned a 33' Fleetwood Pace-Arrow that would shake you until your stomach was upset.

If you find a coach that doesn't make some kind of noise when driven over a "cobblestone-like surface," it's a first for the industry. It is my opinion that the older "vintage" Newell's could not be as tight as the newer models, and a newer coach might be "more desirable" as it would most likely tend to have less rattles or other noises. However, think about all of the components in the coach. The engine, transmission, axles, wheels, and tires produce some vibration. The cabinetry and the items you put in those cabinets will make some kind of noise at some point. That short list only barely scratches the surface of the components that make up the coach. If you've never seen a coach being built, you should go see how a Newell is fabricated.

The Newell is a very quiet coach and as Bob pointed out, "... it is very difficult to eliminate all these little gremlins." My 10 year old house sits on a solid concrete foundation, but if you turned off the water, gas, and electricity so that nothing is running, it still pops and makes some noises at times because the earth underneath it moves. If you put wheels under my house and drove it down the highway at 70 miles per hour, it would fall apart. The Newell or any other coach becomes your house on wheels. At some point, you will have a minor noise to deal with. Mine has a few noises at times, but is a very quiet coach. When I encounter a noise or rattle, I find it and fix it. I believe this is true of any motorcoach or motorhome. This is my personal opinion and I believe you can't go wrong with a Newell. I hope this helps. Tim.
Tim Durham is offline   Reply With Quote