Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 1999 Newell on Crankyape
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
encantotom

hi, time for the massively do it your selfer, redoer and gut my coach and put it back together guy to comment. (and terrible speller)

i dont understand the talk about new engines. these 60's are bulletproof. my guess is a connection to the scanner and you would know what is wrong. that and a fluid sample check would tell you if you are ok and or what is needed.

this coach was used alot dry camping. over 4k hours on the genny says that and that it was always on when driving. but, again these genny engines are meant to go forever if even roughly taken care of.

if i figure my billing rate and the 500-1000 hours i have in my coach, i could buy a very nice many slide coach, so that is why i dont go to newell for service.

they do fantastic work, but for renovations on older coaches, if you dont do most of it yourself, it is cost prohibitive. now that i have done it, i could have the couches, driver and passenger seats, frames around couches, dinette all out in a morning. the hard work with carpeting is taking out the zillions of staples. but that is just mindless work which i am good at.

the slide carpeting part i have to think there is a way to do without taking the slide out.

all other interior stuff is just work and a few bucks.

i am with richard on this one. i cant use the newell costs as examples of what it would take because that makes it a non starter.

there is NOTHING i wouldnt take on to fix on it. it is just time and money and if you have the time, you can spread the money part over time. look at dean, he is slowly doing his 93 as he can.

unless the engine was shot.....which i would suspect is not the case, the scanner along with an hour of an experienced mechanic can tell how the engine was.

i also guess that for much of the time it was owned by someone who cared for it, and probably only a minority of the time was just not kept up. that is a guess, but i would guess a good guess.

i would love the chance to have this baby, but not in the cards for me. it is a perfect one for someone like most of us who do most of our work and doesnt live in it full time.

as wally would say, thats my two cents worth and i am sticking to it.

btw, i had a big bucket of screws and bolts left when i put mine all back together. it all works well, so i wonder where they were supposed to go?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote