Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Underdash air leak
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
fulltiming

Larry, when you asked about the air filter, are you referring to the engine air cleaner? If so, it is somewhat of a bugger to get in and out. There is a clamp at the rear (toward the engine) that has to be removed and two clamps around the filter itself. It took two mechanics at Detroit Diesel to get it off and back on again and then they rotated it 90 degrees from where Newell had it (opening toward the front instead of opening toward the ground) so I am not sure which is right.

Basement A/C Filters
If you are referring to the air filters for the basement airs, I also find that is a big job due to lack of access. Since each coach is different, I am not sure how much using mine as an example will help, but for what it is worth, the easiest is the one in the bedroom where the grill comes off and you can reach right in and change the filter. The worst one is the one under the kitchen sink which requires removing a couple of shelves in the kitchen cabinet under the sink and removing the interior panel that separates the cabinet from the A/C chamber. The one under the coach can be accessed by lifting the coach but it is a very long reach. The one under the refrigerator requires removing the panel on the outside of the coach and going in from the outside.

Dash Heater/AC damper
I will attempt to find the damper. I have had that plenum open before but don't remember seeing the damper. I know that cold air comes back in through the intake vent under the passengers seat when it cold outside and the coach is parked. My heater blowers do put out a little air when stopped through the dash vents but there is an obvious obstruction somewhere. I don't get any air going to the defrosters when I put the AC/Heater control in defrost so I guess my damper is not moving.

Rear Propane Furnace
On your rear propane furnace, if it is like mine (bottom of the closet in the bedroom) access is easy (unfortunately it is the front furnace on mine and access is not good at all). If the fan starts when you lower the thermostat, the three most likely causes of the heater not lighting are 1) sail switch, 2) control board, 3) igniter. In may case, I may have a fan issue and it just isn't turning fast enough to activate the sail switch since it start squalling like crazy but worked, then quit squalling and hasn't lit since.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote