Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Batteries in 80's newells
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
prairieschooner

Capt. Ted,
On our '82 the Merge Switch needs to be selected to up or down to have the alternator on the main engine charge the house bank, or it will not merge the batteries unless selected to! Yes the Generator is started by the house bank, you should however be able to merge the batteries to get the generator to start using the engine starting batteries.
Again my '82 is not wired like the later coaches are and the Battery Merge Solenoid does not Merge the Battery Banks simply because the main engine is running. I like it this way and do not plan on changing it because this helps to isolate the batteries. With the Solar Panels, Power Inverter I like having the House and Engine Batteries isolated under normal conditions. I have noticed that if I use the Merge Switch then I need to Switch it off to re-isolate the Batteries or if I Merge the Batteries when I have the Engine Running then the Merge Solenoid stays Activated after I turn off the Main until I Switch the Merge Off.
Good Luck
If you have some Battery Cables you could jumper across the Merge Solenoid, mine is in the Tankage Bay, or maybe use the car that you may be towing to get the generator started and the get the house bank charged.
PS remember that all Newell coaches are custom and no two may be alike.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote