Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Steering solutions
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
77newell

Default Steering solutions

Here is an overall history of steering improvements for my 77 coach with almost 200,000 miles on it.

First symptom was the need to bump the steering wheel in the direction of needed correction and then bump it back to center almost immediately. The solution was to loosen the adjustment on the gearbox as it was tight enough to stick. The gearbox is a Ross. I had the alignment and mechanicals all checked OK.

Second symptom was just a feeling of ambiguous response to steering wheel inputs, OK with small inputs but less responsive with bigger and faster inputs. Newell told me that if all the rod ends are tight then maybe I would need a new gearbox. I got lucky when during some engine work the steering fluid reservoir was emptied and then refilled with Gunk power steering fluid and voila much better steering. I had previously used ATF with a 7.4 viscosity and found out the Gunk has a viscosity of around 8. I drained some of the new fluid and added 48 oz Honda/Acura fluid with viscosity of about 11, steering is even better.

Though TRW says you can use engine oil up to SAE 40, do not mix it with either ATF or power steering fluid as it will result in tar balls. Mixing ATF and PSF is OK.

Jon Kabbe
77 Coach with Civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote