Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Steering solutions
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
James Tuckness

Mechanical adjustment of steering gear is used to "set center" the gear. This is when the gear touches and slightly binds in the center position. This keeps you from having to constantly chase the ball with minor adjustment of wheel position. Power steering fluid for each type of system is specified by manufacturer, use only what they specify. Any other fluid will not work in the system properly. To remove "slack" from steering gear loosen the lock nut and tighten set screw in to take up slack only. There is a slot for a screw driver in the set screw because the force to set the slack adjustment is so small no other tool is needed. Usualy it is a small adjustment 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn will remove slack, another term for adjustment is "high centering of the gears" they just need to touch in the centered position no tighter. Steering box rebuilder instructed me on how to adjust centering on the coach. He also directed me to install heave "tube" grease in my manual box. The seals dry and shrink causing the box to lose gear oil and run dry. Grease will not run out and will not affect operation of box. My Garrison system had ATF in it when I purchased the coach. Steering was not smooth in operation. Proper fluid solved this problem, shake and some "shimmy" in left turn was caused by valves opening and closing on a fluid that was thinner than the proper fluid. Viscosity has a large affect on flow of fluid in system.

James

71-30" manual steering box with Garrison power steering system.
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote