Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 77 Newell Repower?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Neweller

Keith, I have been involved in a repower on a '76 Newell that originally had 555 and it was not all that hard to convert. I made mounting brackets and moved the radiator to the side bay. I had help from a couple of other guys whom hotrod a lot of newer Cummins engines. I considered the 8.3 Cummins, they came in a lot of school buses and could be made to work. They are a great engine. Transmission usually reguire changes in the process to match the right gearing and torque requirements. The tripple nickle is an okay engine, just under powered and that is why the 903 is the easiest change over. The blocks are pretty much the same. The 903 with turbo is real equivalent in power to the 6v92T. I do know where their is a lower mileage (375hp+) 6v92T DD Silver Series with Allison 5 speed for sale, if ever of interest?

If a guy plans on keeping a Classic Newell for a long time, it would be well worth the money to upgrade. It is a whole lot less money than what someone would have invested compared to doing something similar in a bus conversion. Because you already have a dynamite coach in a Newell.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote