Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Seat Wars
Thread: Seat Wars
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

In general, the Euro seats, Recaro and ISRI, tend to be a lot firmer than what the Americans are used to. Now, add time to that, and the foam that started out firm, is now like a brick. That is why I ended up rebuilding the seat I had.

I looked at new ISRI and Recaro seats, but I only found them on line. I never found a place locally that I could actually plant my butt in one. I didn't want to drop 1500 or so without the seat time experience. My local Freightliner dealer carries a few aftermarket seats.

There are a couple of ways you might think about going.

One is find a custom upholstery shop near you, one that specializes in custom car interiors. Have them rebuild the seat you have to fit your tastes.

Or, find some bucket seats you like in a junkyard, and have them covered to match your interior. The bus conversion DIY guys usually go this route. Their top line recommendation is seats from a Range Rover.

Or you might cruise the Truck junkyards to snag some nice seats out of a junked big truck.

The problem for us shorter guys is the length of the seat. It's not a problem to have a long seat when you are sitting close to the floor. The length actually supports your thigh, But when the seat is mounted in an upright position, then the length actually cuts into the back of the thigh.

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote