Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 89 Newell for Sale
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Dave-n-Marjorie

Sounds good, but I would personally never let distance be a factor in getting a good deal. When you say “if the engine is bad” how can you tell? I’m just wondering. I don’t know about engines at all, was just told by a mechanic no matter what, make sure you get a Newell with a series 60.

So do the engines go bad often on these things? It ran fine for two people and I guess could be test driven, so how do you know? Is the mileage limited on these things? I know of series 60’s on here for sale with close to 200,000 miles. Does that mean it will need a new engine soon? I thought these things were supposed to last?

What about transmissions? How long do they last? There are so many unknowns when buying a used RV of any brand. Should I just assume the worst? I guess if the engine was running bad and misfiring and blowing jet black smoke at idle, I would know the engine is bad, but how else would you know?

Same thing with transmission. I could test drive it 20 miles and it shifts fine, but 1,000 miles later the transmission could just lock up. How do you know?

Should we just “assume the worst” when we negotiate for these things?

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote