Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Auxiliary Toad Brakes
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
tuga

Hi Larry,

I pull a Honda Pilot behind my Newell, and I have never felt that I needed brakes on the toad. I have had to stop sometimes pretty quick (my wife can attest to that fact) and I never have any problems. I will say that the brakes on this Newell (my third one) work much better than on my '93 and '87. I think that the difference is the disk brakes on the front & tag axles. This baby stops! One time my step daughter was in the rear bathroom sitting in a chair putting on her make-up and I slammed on the brakes. She was thrown foward - out of the chair - onto the floor! She came to the front of the coach and was laughing her head off! When we talk about how well the coach stops, we always tell that story!

From a legal standpoint, I think all 50 states require auxillary brake systems on towed vehicles. You can check in the January issue of FMCA magazine. However, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for not having a brake system. But, if you are involved in an accident not having a brake system on your toad might become an issue.

It's up to you!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote