Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Headlight Upgrade Information for 90's Newell Coach
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
Richard and Rhonda

Hi Paul,

I had this very discussion with Stern. I was having a heck of an internal debate over projector vs direct replacement of the Ford headlamps.

I work for Alcon, doing research and development on Intraocular lenses, the ones that go inside your eye after cataract surgery, so he and I went into some pretty esoteric discussion of optical design, and the merits of each alternative. In the end it came down to this for me, your decision may be different. The great big Ford jobs are a curse and a blessing. A curse because the Euro replacement is rare, but a blessing because you have so much area for the reflector. If the reflector is of a quality design, and the originals are junk, then you get a great beam. Stern said, as good as most of the projector lamps out there. So given that direct replacements vs. projector was not going to result in a material gain in light quality, the decision for me then turned to the aesthetics. Was the upgraded look worth having to modify the front cap. For me it wasn't .

All told I'll probably have about 500 in the replacement. Projectors would cost about as much, but involve a some fiberglas and paint work. I played with the idea of mounting the projectors in some kind of painted or polished plate where the existing lights are. I just couldn't imagine a look with those small projectors that fit with the big squared off design cues on the coach.

We haven't discussed the high buck option. HID. The lamps and ballast for a HID setup is going to give you spectacular light. The lamps and ballast would cost around 2000 for both high and low beam. Plus, it would require the front cap modification.

So where am I? I pulled wires this weekend. I have to make a mounting board for the relays, so I should be able to test this setup on the coming weekend. Stern only had a left lamp in stock, so I am going to install one first. That's a good news bad news. The bad is I want to get it finished. The good is that it will give a A B comparison between the Euro lamp and the stock one.

I am leaving the original wiring intact. That way if I crack a lens in Bumfuzzle, Montana I can pop in a Ford replacement quickly.

I am not dissing your post to Ken about exploring the options. I just wanted to post a little more information for you to factor into your thoughts. I'll be the first to say that what is right for me, may not be what you would choose at all.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote