Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - The Full Time Dream!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #113
prairieschooner

The Brake Lights would not work on our '82 when we first got it. I found that a PO had "hot wired" a switch at the dash to allow him to energize the brake lights, a real Rube Golberg! After removing all non-factory wiring I found that the problem was in the Steering Column and in the Emergency Flasher and Turn Signal Switches. From what I remember the ROSS Steering Column had this problem and Chuck at Newell was able to find a kit to up-grade and correct this problem.

I cannot remember exactly how this is wired but the Brake Signal is interrupted by either the Turn Signal or the Emergency Flasher Switch so that the Forward Turn Signals do not come on when the Brake Lights do. I was able to locate the problem and solder a jumper until I could get the parts to repair it correctly.

The Relays at the rear of the coach (on ours) energize all of the lights on either the left or right for the Brake and or Turn Signals. There is a Brake Signal at the rear that goes to the Cruise Control to stop it after using the Brakes but I am sure that it was not intended to power up one or more of those Sealed Beams that were originally used as Taillights.

If you do get a kit from Newell then the Hub for the Steering Wheel will need to be turned down to clear the new Assembly. Send me an email and I will forward a copy of the letter showing where it needs to be turned down and the correct dimensions (the file is too large for this forum).

Hope this helps.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote