Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Rare Old's 88 Corvette Killer
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
prairieschooner

Yes guys this was on the desk at the same time as the corvette. Too bad the corvette won out but history has proven that it was a great idea. The last one of these at auction went for crazy money! Glad I still have my '55 Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
How about this car for the ultimate dream toad? Definatley would need an enclosed trailor!!
Here's what the Corvette Oldsmobile Division wanted, but never had. This experimental sports car would have been in direct competition wîth the Chevrolet Corvette. While debating the matter, GM built three Olds F-88 showcars, each one slightly different, all wîth concealed folding tops. It is powered by a 324-cid 'Rocket V8' producing 250 bhp. Brought out of GM styling in pieces, and owned briefly by financier and luxury auto magnate, E.L. Cord (CEO of Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg). One version was gifted to Harley Earl upon his retirement. The only surviving F-88 was sold at auction in 2005 for $3.2 million.

The XP-20 project, commonly known as F-88 was a pet project of Harley Earl (working wîth him was Bill Mitchell, Ken Pickering, Zora Duntov etc.). Four cars came out of the project, but only styling order #2265 (this car) survived. It was sold or given to E.L. Cord (Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg owner) in 1955. Hundreds of internal GM documents and original blue prints are still wîth this sole survivor.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote