Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Russ White
Thread: Russ White
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
RussWhite

Tuga, Steve, Tom, and Bill - Thanks ever so much for your words of concern.

I am also reminded of others who have proceeded me with a fall on their spiral stairs. Let me detail a little bit more what happened in the event it might allow others readers to learn from my misfortune.

As with lots of things that go wrong, there are often more than one contributing factor to the event. It was a beautiful day, so the door to the coach was latched open. Since it was the middle of the day I felt no need to close the screen as there were no mosquitoes or flies flying. I was exiting the coach. I think one is more likely to get in trouble on those steps going down, and that may well be true for all steps. I was carrying a pair of binoculars in my left hand. I was a step or two down when I slipped. I was wearing tennis shoes/running shoes. I remember the feeling of the shoes sliding across the edge of the step when it should have been taking my weight - I'm 5-11" 160 lbs. Tuga mentions a handle. There is not much to grab inside my coach. If there ever was any kind of an inside handle, it is no longer there. The first handle opportunity is outside on the coach wall just to the left of the door as you enter. My fall had started well before I would have been able to reach that handle. On my right going out there are only the very smooth sides of the laminate and on the left, nothing at all. Right at the top of the stairs there are the two translucent posts that most people grasp when climbing the staris, but they don't offer much on the way down.

When I eventually return to living there, the memory will be strong and will probably be sufficient to prevent any future problems. I still think I will look hard at the stairs and see if any ideas come to mind to make them less hazardous. I sure will consider what Tuga has mentioned when I fully understand what he is suggesting.

Again - Thanks Guys - Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote