Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - benefits of newell vs. prevost and blue bird
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 05:01 AM   #3
Bob Scott

Hi Linda

First off I'll admit to being biased, however my ideas and feelings have developed over years of learning. We own a 1986 Newell and have been thinking of upgrading to something newer. This past week the Northwest Area Rally of FMCA was held in Albany,Oregon and as there were several new coaches on display it seemed like a good time to really check out what everyone was selling.

A little of my background. I have repaired both motorhomes and trailers. I have also converted two buses and currently have one that is about 60 percent completed. {I'll make someone a very good deal}. We also own a custom cabinet shop which is one of the largest in the state. Along the way I have also restored several airplanes. I only mention these facts so that you will have some idea for the opinions I have. Incidentally, the reason that we own the Newell is that we went to look at it to get some ideas for the bus conversion project. We walked in and my wife took one look at the Newell and she said "I want it". And as they say, the rest is history. She figured that the conversion project was taking too long.

This past week we looked at Prevost, Bluebird, Country Coach, Foretravel, and the top lines of Monaco just to see if by chance they had improved when comparing them to a Newell. I looked at systems, layout, quality of materials and workmanship. On some coaches with price tags of upwards of a million dollars the workmanship was so poor that if our shop turned out the same work we would fire the whole crew. My wife, on the other hand, is more interested in textures, color coordination, frabics, carpet, etc. We looked with a critical eye as we had not definitely decided on staying with Newell. However, after two days of checking out the brand X's, I know what our next coach is going to be. I told my wife just yesterday that if money was no object, and it is, that I would rather have a five year old Newell than any new coach that I've seen. Also, in the last six months I have been through five manufacturing plants. Hopefully this hasn't boored you. If you have any specific questions I'll be most happy to answer.

Bob
Bob Scott is offline   Reply With Quote