Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Safety when dry camping and boondocking?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
tuga

Randy,

My wife Karen doesn't like dry camping either. She doesn't feel safe. I carry a gun in the coach at all times.

That makes her feel a little safer, but she still doesn't like it.

So my boondocking is limited to the trips that I make with my buddies (usually overnight on my way to Newell). All Newells have 2 deadbolts on the entrance door. One of the 2 deadbolts (the top one) does not have any access from the outside of the door. It would be very difficult for someone to get inside if both deadbolts are locked.

I have been in discussions about how a crackpot could gain access to the inside of your Newell. The consensus was that some sort of diversion would be created; a knock on the door and the person outside says "there is some oil dripping out onto the ground" or "there is some smoke coming out of your engine area - smells like electrical burning". Of course, the best thing to do would be to respond with " I am calling the police and fire departments"!

So to sum up; I would lock the 2 deadbolts, have the gun loaded and ready, and park under a well lighted area like a WalMart etc.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote