Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - where is the temperature sensor for the outside thermometer
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
RussWhite

Bill,

Kind of dug up an old thread didn't you

Okay, I have done a little investigation on this one. My outside temperature never worked since I purchased my 1999 in 2010 - bay still works. Bay is located on the wall next to the waste tank on the utility bay side. The outside is located in the insulation on the underside of the coach. It can be very hard to find. The easiest way is to follow the wire where it goes through the bottom of the bay. In my case, the wire runs down the side of the bay wall in a bay just behind the mid-entry door on the passenger side. I have a indoor/outdoor sensor made by PMMI electronics. That company is no longer in business and Newell said they had no parts. I was able to make contact with the fellow who bought the company and he was helpful, but still confirmed that there are no parts available.
The sensor used on the I/O display product is actually a 2N222 transistor. When I discovered that I was none too happy as I think calibration and any real accuracy are not too likely. The transistor is attached to a nail like piece of metal that acts as a heat sink to dampen temperature variation and then covered in heat shrink. This almost home brew package is then exposed to road grime and corrosion with its under coach location. Mine was just a hunk of rust when I found it. See attached picture.
I do have some sketches and notes from the manufacturer, and I even went so far as to buy a few transistors, but lost enthusiasm somewhere along the way. If you want a copy of the email from PMMI as well as the pdf files and sketches, just drop me a PM with your address and I will get it on the way.
Russ

Name:  TemperatureDisplay (Medium).JPG
Views: 176
Size:  84.5 KBName:  TemperatureOutside (Medium).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  94.2 KBName:  TemperatureSensor (Medium).JPG
Views: 162
Size:  82.0 KBName:  OutdoorTempSensor (1) (Medium).JPG
Views: 161
Size:  75.6 KBName:  OutdoorTempSensor (2) (Medium).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  92.9 KBName:  OutdoorTempSensor (3) (Medium).jpg