Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Creede diaries
Thread: Creede diaries
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #46
chockwald

I learned something new on this trip from Tom. A portion of the road approaching Tom's cabin is dirt....probably about a mile. When we arrived at Tom's cabin in a cloud of dust, Tom suggested cleaning the radiator's of our coaches after they had cooled down. In addition to the cloud of dust, as I idled behind Tom (while he unhooked the Honda) I began to hear a loud squeaking sound from the rear....it would disappear when I increasd the RPM's, but persisted until I shut down the engine after leveling. In addition to the loud squeaking sound, I had also been concerned with the slightly higher temps my coach was reaching on the trip to and from Creede, CO. When he said this a light when on in my head....maybe this was causing the coach to run hotter than normal. Well, yesterday afternoon, after riding his quads all over the "back 40" (and it was a blast) we first hosed down each radiator from the inside out, and then sprayed them with a degreaser. After a few minutes we then sprayed the degreaser off. I noticed Tom's radiator looked much cleaner than mine on the engine side, and he said he washes it off before each trip. Well, that was news to me, as I had never done this to mine. Before cleaning the radiators Tom had me start up the engine to see if we could find the squeak...all the belts appeared to be tight...well, thankfully, that squeak is no longer in evidence, and did not reappear on our 500 mile trip home.....whew!!! After two applications of degreaser, and spraying the degreaser off mine looked a lot better (Tom also suggested doing the same to the engine, which we did, and wow, does it ever look much cleaner....not as clean as Ron's, though)!!

Well, the proof in this case is definitely in the pudding........on the way home from Tom's home the temps never got above 200 on the engine, and never above 170 on the tranny, even though we had several 10-12 mile climbs. This will become a regular part of my trip preparation....what a relief....I thought I had some major issue developing.

I have read the same documentation Ron cited on our mechanical V92's about the shutdown at 220, etc.

We left Tom's cabin around 6pm last night (Saturday) and had planned to run up to Flagstaff, about 70 miles away, and then hit the sack early, and get up at midnight and make the run home in cooler air temps. Well, we decided to head for Kingman where we would top off the diesel tank, dump the tanks, and then sleep from 11pm to 3am. We left Kingman at 3am, and arrived home at 9am this morning.....was much better breaking that last 500 miles in half. Haven't really driven much at night, so this was a new experience. The coach just purred all the way home, and the temps stayed around 180 only getting up into the high 190's twice on very long climbs.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote