Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - White smoke on start 8V92TA
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
prarieschooner

Brian,
After giving this some more thoughts I was thinking that you may want to get some of the Fluids Analyzed. There has been some previous discussion about this and I feel that it could be invaluable as a Preventative Maintenance Tool. I had the Fluids from the 6V92 Detroit, Allison Transmission, Kohler Generator and both Radiators Analyzed before purchasing.
This type of program is offered by Heavy Equipment Repair Stations. I bought my Kits from Johnson Caterpillar in Riverside, CA. They sold me the Oil Analysis for less than $20.00 each and I think the Pump was about $35.00-$40.00. The Pump is a Manual Vacuum Type and the Samples go into the pre-purchased Sample Bottles (sold as the Oil Analysis). You use a piece of Tubing that is inserted into the Equipment to be Analyzed and then the Vacuum Pump withdraws the Fluid into the Bottle (the Tubing is not re-used to keep from contaminating the sample). The Sample Bottle is then Mailed to the Lab for the Analysis and they E-Mail the report within a few days.
I would suggest that you have the Oil in the Detroit and the Radiator Coolant tested. This would help you know what is going on inside the Engine. I suggest the Radiator Coolant to help identify any issue with Head Gaskets.
The other check that you could make is to use the Block Heater to keep the Diesel from getting Cold. Most likely there would not be any white smoke if the Block Heater was used prior to starting the Detroit.
Having said all of this the white smoke may simply be unburnt Fuel and quite normal.
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote