Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tire Information Please
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

I would buy and mount at the same place. Avoids fingerpointing if something is amiss.

Let's talk about balance for a second. You are going to be asked this when you buy the tires. Most of the time truck tires do not require balancing. If you have some vibration, the first thing to check is the vertical runout of the tire. If it is over 0.040 thousandths, have the shop deflate and rotate the tire on the rim. That usually remedies the issues. The inflation deflation inflation cycle seems to center the tire on the rim. In fact Michelin recommends that as standard procedure, but no shop actually does it.

If you do need balance. Some shops have the equipment to spin balance and tape weights on the rim just like car tires. Some shops even have the equipment to spin balance while the tire is mounted on the coach.

Others will put Equal or Dynabeads inside the tire. That method works too and rebalances the tire continously. Don't fall for the hype about water and clumping. If you choose this method INSIST that the correct valve cores are installed or the beads can jam the core and cause the tire to lose air.

The fanciest version of the continous balance is Centramatic or Balance Masters. They both are devices that mount to the rim behind the tire and continously balance.

All three methods work. I happen to like the beads the best. Cost is about the same for beads or machine balance, the Centramatics are around a hundred fifty a pair.

I have Bridgestones right now and I have been happy with them. I have had Michelins on another coach and was happy with them. I will probably buy Michelin next time cause I love the French, NOT !!!! , but because my sister is a customer service rep for them.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote