Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - RV's meeting new emissions?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
ikcandco

Interesting info on Death Valley
'Death Valley :'
»»»» 'The Most Desolate Place Around !'
»»»»»»»» Besides The Moon, That Is . . . Besides The Moon ! ! !'
»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' ««««««~»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' ««««««««
'Questions from a Grand-Son . . .'
Last month, I was viewing and reading this post with one of my grandsons and while I
was reading to him 'JohnC's Post,' the 'Death Valley' name came about and, "OOOhhhhh!"
the word 'Death' sparked many questions !

«~» I knew some and answered the best I could, presently, without an intensive search,
I came about this following tread and great photos to share with you folks :

« 1 » 'For Starts Here's an Incredible Photo ~ You Can Super-Size This Picture
. . . «CLICK HERE»
« 2 » 'The Same One ~ This One is a Smaller Version
. . . «CLICK HERE»
«~» Death Valley is a valley in the U.S. state of California, and is the location of the
lowest elevation in North America at -282 feet (-86 meters). (It is often mistakenly
described as the lowest elevation in the Western Hemisphere, but that is actually Laguna
del Carbón in Argentina at -105 meters.) Located southeast of the Sierra Nevada range
in the Great Basin and the Mojave Desert, it comprises much of Death Valley National
Park. It runs north-south between the Amargosa Range to the east and the Panamint
Range to the west; the Sylvania Mountains and the Owlshead Mountains form its
northern and southern boundaries, respectively. It has an area of about 3,000 square
miles (~7,800 km²).[1] Death Valley, California, is the hottest place on earth.
Temperatures in the Valley can range from up to 130°F (54 °C) in the day in the
summer, to below freezing at night in the winter.

«~» Many of Death Valley's narrow, serpentine roads were built in the 1930s and cannot
be driven at high speed.

«~» Badwater, located within Death Valley, is the specific location of the lowest point in
North America. (Surprisingly, the highest point in the contiguous United States, Mount
Whitney, is just 76 miles (123 km) west of Death Valley.) At 282 feet (86 m) below sea
level, Death Valley shares most of the characteristics found in other places around the
world that lie below sea level. Generally, the lower the altitude of a place, the higher the
temperatures tend to be. This is especially true in Death Valley, due to the mountains
that encircle the valley. The valley radiates extreme amounts of heat, creating
temperatures that are among the hottest on earth. The hottest temperature ever
recorded in the United States was 134 °F (56.7 °C) at Furnace Creek on July 10, 1913.

«~» The highest average high temperature in July is 116 °F (47 °C) with temperatures
of 122 °F (50 °C) or higher being very common. The valley receives less than 2 in (50
mm) of rain annually. The Amargosa River and Furnace Creek flow through the valley,
disappearing into the sands of the valley floor.

«~» While very little rain falls in Death Valley, the valley is prone to flooding during
heavy rains because the soil is unable to absorb the bulk of the water. The runoff can
produce dangerous flash floods. In August 2004, such flooding occurred, causing two
deaths and shutting down the national park.
« ~ » 'For the 'Wikipedia Encyclopedia' Full Article, 'Other Links' and 'Photos'
. . . «CLICK HERE»
------------------
May God Bless
KC