Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 7
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #62
Neweller

A
793 9/24/2002 10:19:35 PM 9/28/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Overheating/engine smoke Sorry to hear about your troubles. Normal operating temperatures for the 92 series engine are; water- 170 to 195 with 210 max and 215 engine shutdown and engine oil 200 to 250. I whole heartedly agree with the Newell tech staff except for their CH-4 recommendation. Detroit Diesel recommends a two stroke oil for their 92 series and I have had good luck with Chevron Delo 100 40 wt. and Shell Rotella wt. Both oils meet the DD two stroke requirements with the delo 100 having a better/lower ash content. As to the white smoke; generally speaking, at normal operating temps (160+): White smoke = misfiring cylinders($) or a bypass blower valve is stuck open. Blue smoke = lubricating oil being burned (worn rings, turbo bearings etc.) Black or gray = incomplete fuel combustion (restricted air filter or muffler, lugging the engine, defective throttle delay, high altitude, restricted liner ports, improper injector timing, jack rabbit starts etc.) One quick way to check the health of a 92 series is to let it sit overnight (cold soak for 24 hours at an OAT of +40 farenheit) and then have someone start it while you watch the exhaust. It should stop smoking in a couple of seconds, the quicker the better. Also be advised it takes a lot washing and work to get 'most' of the old oil and trash out of a rear mounted Newell radiator (they aren't kidding about using a drop light). If the radiator fins are clean, your temperature gauge is accurate, the thermostat is good, your pressure cap is working, the hoses are not restricted, your belts are tight, the water pump is ok, and you performed a first rate cooling system flush and your temps still remain high, it's probably time to pull the radiator. I recommend taking the radiator to an industrial radiator shop capable of submerging the entire radiator in a 'hot' tank, followed by a flow and pressure test. If you need to replace it, get a bigger core while you are at it. If you want to remove it yourself,e-mail me and I will explain how my wife and I recently did it using the air leveling system, FRS radios and landscape timbers ( I lost a fuel line in Sallisaw OK, and no one had the time, space or knowledge to quickly repair it). I also highly recommend you install some hardware cloth between the frame to keep errant stones being picked up by the fan and propelled into the radiator fins.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote