Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Alternator
Thread: Alternator
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
encantotom

the voltage regulator on mine is a delco 19020403. there is one on eba for 130 bucks.

my alternator is much much bigger physically and is oil cooled.

here is a simple way to see if the regulator is working or not.

from my meager experience if the alternator isnt working, it will not be putting out enough voltage. (before the regulator).
    • 1 Turn on the multimeter and set it to read voltage. Connect the multimeter lead clips to the terminals of the vehicle battery. Connect the red lead to the positive terminal and the black lead to the ground terminal if they are colored as such on your multimeter, but polarity is not a particularly important issue here.

• 2 Start the engine. Let the engine run at its idle rpm and do not rev it up in any way. Take note of the voltage reading while the engine is idling.

• 3 Have a helper press on the accelerator and gradually increase the engine rpm.

• 4 Pay close attention to the voltage reading as the rpm increases. The voltage should steadily increase along with the engine until the rpm reaches about 1,000. At this point a properly functioning regulator will hold the voltage steady, with it not varying by more than 1/2 volt.

• 5 Add more electrical load to the system in the form of turning the headlights on high and running the air conditioner, all while your helper continues to rev the engine. The idea is to impose the maximum electrical load on the system. Monitor the voltage reading during this also. If the voltage changes more than the previously mentioned 1/2 volt, you most likely have a bad regulator. If the voltage holds steady, you can be assured your regulator is good. Then you can move on to testing the two other most likely sources of an electrical problem: the battery or the alternator.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote