Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Air Dryer
Thread: Air Dryer
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
Wally Arntzen

A follow up on my previous comments.

When I first got my coach I had a whole bunch of air leaks. Problems similar to what you are having. I replaced two of my large air tanks and the small one for the air operated toilet due to rust holes on some of the welded seams. I replaced all of the check valves in the coach and all of the air switches, and air seperators.
Since my troubles in Santa Fe with the line freeze up and the anuall installation of alcohol it has been perfect.
I am totally comfortable driving my coach anywhere in the winter in extremely cold weather and not worrying about freeze ups as well as driving it anywhere in the summer in extremely hot weather and not having above average temperatures. When Newell built these coaches I beleive the did so with design's to allow them to function comfortably in any weather condition.
If we maintain them properly they should continue to run under any weather conditions.
I believe that if we have coaches that are 15 to 25 years old and they are heating up that our radiators are bad and need to be replaced or rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt and I can guarantee you that my temperature does not over 190 degrees under any temperature conditions. It rarley goes over 185. My generator is the same as the engine never going over 185 but in most conditons it runs at 165.
I know friends of mine on this site are putting in water squirter systems to cool the radiators and other micky mouse add ons but they are not fixing the radiator which will fix all of the problems. The same goes for the air leak problems, its got nothing to with how Newell built the coaches, but everything about how they have been maintained over the years.
These coaches were built to run under any conditions and if we put the time and right repairs in them there is no reason that they will do that for a long, long time.

I'm like everbody else on the site and like to do my own work, the cheapist way I can but I respect the fact that there are some things that you just have to bite the bullet and do it right.
I'm not an engineer like many of the guys on the site, so I do not try to figure the complicated details of why something does not work, I just get at it and replace it if i'm confident that it is broke or not functioning as designed. I tend to over maintain my vehicle but as I said before and will repeat, when I leave on a trip I drive my vehicle with confidence and do not worry about it not getting through the cold or hot weather and if it does fail I know that a phone call or two will get me on the road in short order.
This is getting long and probably boring so i'm done on this topic.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote