Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Steering Performance Changes Over the Years
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

It's a good question. I have tweaked on the front end of my Newell, and also the our previous Newmar until it could get no better, and the short answer to your question is I cannot make it drive like a car. Mine requires very little steering input, BUT you can't take your eyes off the road for any period of time.

Here are some things you can try, that don't cost a lot of money, only your time. First, weight the coach and use the tire inflation tables to figure out how much pressure to run in the tires. If you did lighten the front end up, and you are running the fronts with too much pressure, the front end will skate around.

Next, make sure the ride height is adjusted correctly.

Then check all play in the front end from steering wheel to tire. Easiest way I've found to check from the tie rod back to the steering wheel is to clamp different parts of the steering train down and turn the wheel. You'll quickly see how much slop you have.

Next, almost all steering gears have an adjustment. If it's too loose, then that will generate back and forth movement. If it's too tight, it almost feels the same, except the difference is that you have to physically recenter the steering wheel after making a small correction.

I saved the best for last. Set the toe in at 2/32 to 3/32. You will be amazed at how that plants the front end. Yeah, you might not get but 50000 miles out of the steer tires, but who cares, hardly anyone wears them out.

I have driven Newells, Prevosts, Bluebirds, tag Country Coaches, and tag Newmars. None of them drive like a car. They all required more attention to the road than a car to keep it centered.

Exactly what is yours doing that you do not like?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote