Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Sewer dump valves
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
rheavn

Default Sewer dump valves

It was finally time to take on a maintenance issue that no one really likes. I hope my experience will help others. I read everything I could on the dump valves, as they are different than any other coach I have owned, so I had an idea of what I was going to encounter. My coach has three dump valves. Two air valves and one manual valve.

I started with the manual valve in the main water bay. I could pull the valve to the full open position, but I could not get it to seat in the closed position, so I suspected a problem. There are two screws on the top surface of the valve below the handle(if manual valve) or air cylinder(if air valve) that hold the dump valve in the housing. I tried to just pull up, but it didn't budge. I used a small rubber hammer & got it to move and was able to pull it straight up & out. Some one had used a small amount of silicone and that is probably why I couldn't just pull it out. The valve seal was "ruffled" which meant it was bad and needed to be replaced. This valve showed no evidence of maintenance.

I then went to the air dump valve in the main water bay. This is the main dump valve I use and there was silicone grease visible so it looked like it had received maintenance. Since I've been using this valve I presumed it was good. I drained the air system & disconnected the air lines. I unscrewed the two screws that hold the valve in the housing. I pulled straight up & it came right out. The seal was "ruffled" rather badly & needs to be replaced.

I then went to the air dump valve that is located in the rear of the AquaHot bay on the opposite side as the main water bay. This valve did not move when air was applied, so I knew this valve had issues. I disconnected the air lines. I unscrewed the two screws that hold the valve in the housing. I tried to pull straight up, but it didn't move. I tried the small rubber hammer & still no movement. I got a bar & set up a lever. After several attempts I got it to move & slowly was able to lever it out. It came out very hard. When it did come out there was no seal. The seal was wedged in the housing. I tried many different hooking tools, but to no avail. With a screwdriver I worked it to the bottom of the housing and over to the discharge side. All this was done in the blind and by feel as it was too tight an area to get in & look into the housing. The discharge end of the dump pipe had a 90 turn which kept me from a look from that end. After much thought I remembered a manual spring snake I bought over 40 years ago---wasn't sure I still had it. After a long search I found it. I was able to "snake" the seal out in about five minutes. The seal was badly swollen, distorted and torn. There was no signs of any maintenance.

My after job analysis is that one is better to maintain these valves a little more often, before you cause yourself BIG PROBLEMS. The seals are a $6.35 item. The one main air valve that showed signs of maintenance came out easily. If they had all come out easy I could do the entire maintenance job, even installing any needed seals, in about an hour. Obviously I have many hours invested so far.

I attached a photo of the distorted seal, the air dump valve, the area I had the problem and the spring snake I used.

Hope this is helpful.....................
Attached Images