Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Vintage Newell
Thread: Vintage Newell
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Jon Kabbe

Perhaps I can give a better response than my original one. I was suffering from a sinus infection and I was about as smart and communicative as a dead pig, and that's giving the pig the benefit of the doubt. There really are only three kinds of problems due to age; parts availability, degradation of organic materials such as elastomer (rubbery stuff), and corrosion of metals. Degradation of organic materials is the least obvious in my opinion and the most variable. Start with tires, aging will cause internal dry rot even when the outside looks good, most people say change them every 5-7 years, out of ignorance I ran mine 12 years, but don't repeat this at home as it wasn't smart to be ignorant. Then you have other parts directly exposed to sun such as window seals, shades and interior fabrics, not to mention the awnings. All of these "weather" and it depends on how the vehicle was exposed how long they will last. I haven't addressed wear and collisions because those are usually obvious and are unlikely to have hidden costs in a coach built like a Newell. The really tough stuff are the seals in the mechanical systems. How long will an engine crankshaft seal remain viable? It all depends on a huge variety of factors, though time inevitably is a major one. All you can do is look for leaks, but don't panic because the old 2-stroke diesels weren't called "Detroit Drippers" for no cause. An EXPERIENCED 2-stroke mechanic is vital here. Other than that, if it's a Newell and runs and drives good, it is good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Jon Kabbe is offline   Reply With Quote