Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Opinions Needed! Opinions Wanted! Opinions Please! ! !
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Neweller

You could stuff a Cummins 6BT 5.9L in there way easier than a Detroit 60 series. The 60 series is supposedly longer than a 8v92. With the longer engines you will have to move the radiator to the side. If you're doing the conversion yourself you could pull it off for that kind of money. I have helped do one a few years back and it turned out pretty darn good. It got pumped up on the torque and horsepower and is now living life as a hacienda in Mexico with an ocean view.

I know of at least two other owners and another prospective owner with similar ideas. Two of them are sitting with blown 8v92's. I don't know if your looking at one of these coaches or not? Anyone seriously interested, I could compile a list of resources to speed along the process and trim some fat off your shopping list.

Another great source for engine swaps is Southern Oregon Diesel. Those boys have been upgrading power plants with newer Cummins engines stuffed inside of MCI's, Prevost, GMC's, and Eagle's for years now. Ten years ago they quoted me like $26k to convert a 6v92 over to a remand Cummins.

Like Chester mentioned above it would help to know what year we are talking about. Paying to have it done nowadays may not be feasible. You would have to way out cost compared to moving up to a newer Newell with a 60 series. I'm not going to knock the idea. People do this kind of stuff all the time but most are gear heads with a nice shop and equipment. With your own time, labor and parts sourcing it could be a neat project. You may get a whole lot of customers wanting theirs done too.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote