Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - SCS Basement Air problem and solution
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
RussWhite

Tuga,

You proabaly are clear on how your charger functions, but I'd like to clarify a few suggestion you made. The power supplied to a bank of batteries to charge them is measured in amp-hours. The process of charging is necessary to replace amp-hours used from the batteries when not connected to an AC source, either the pedestal or your generator. The only other need is the very small amount to replace internal loses within the batteries and maintain the float voltage. The paramaters you are suggesting to change determine the MAXIMUM current that will be delivered to charge the batteries. This means that if you have been dry camping and your batteries are in need of charging the time it will take will be very long due to a very low charging rate. Conversely if you have not been dry camping and your batteries are charged ( like almost everyone plugged in ) they will not be using any signifcant current regardless of the MAXMUM setting on the inverter. Once the charger reaches third stage ( float ) a bulk charge that could be affected by the settihg of the maxium charge amps paramater will not be initiated except by a power interruption. This all assumes a healthy battery bank. A bank with bad cells might not reach full charge normally and could just waste charing current as it is turned into heat in the bad battery bank. Whith my battereis full charged ( as they are almost all the time ) changing the maximum charing amps paramater makes no difference what so ever on my power consumed. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote