Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Enclosed car hauler trailer
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
chockwald

It turned out that Tom's wife, Darlene, was visiting her daughter yesterday, not too far from where the trailer was. She stopped there on the way home and inspected the trailer, and took some pictures of the interior, now that it has been emptied. It turns out the trailer exterior length is really 28', not 26', and then there is the additional 4' feet for the tongue, making the total length 32'. That combined with my 36' Newell would put me at 68' total length.....3' longer than is allowed in many states. And, frankly, really a lot longer than I wanted. What I really need is something between 20' and 24'. When we towed the 'Bird down to Austin a year ago it was on a 24' flatbed trailer (really 29' total with tongue putting us right at 65') and that was right at the edge of what I felt comfortable with, and frankly what would fit in many pull throughs at RV parks on the trip. In fact, in Las Vegas at the CircusCircus KOA they had to move us twice because the first two spots they tried to put us in weren't long enough.

Thank you Tom and Darlene for your help in making this decision. There will be other trailers. One of the features I really liked about this trailer in Phoenix was the side 4' X 4' door on the drivers side of the trailer just above the tandem wheels. I found out later this is called an "escape door"....for getting in/out the vehicle when it is being loaded/unloaded. The second feature I like was the "tilt" feature that allows you to raise the front of the trailer while hitched to level out the loading ramp in back. I need that because the 'Bird has a very low ground clearance making it difficult to get it over the hump. The tilt feature eliminates the hump.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote