Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Let's talk non-steerable Tag Axles
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
Richard and Rhonda

I am not sure we are talking apples and oranges. I agree that if I have the bus sitting on the stops and I have to air up from it sitting flat that it can take up to ten minutes. HOWEVER, if I am sitting level, and have the engine on fast idle, I can raise the bus to the top of the bags in about two minutes.

Based on my interpretation of the gauges, I reckon it takes about 85 to 90 psi to float the bus at the ride height, by the time I have about 105 psi in the bags the bus will be at the top of the suspension travel.

That explains the difference in the inflation times. To go from sitting flat to ride height requires that I build from zero to about 90 psi in all the tanks and bags. To go from ride height to the top of the suspension only requires that I go from 90 to 105.

I hope that was clear.

One thing that may be counterintuitive is that you really don't want a fast response in the ride height leveling system when you are going down the road. You really don't want the suspension jacking up and down with every irregularity in the road. In fact most ride height valves have some sort of restriction in them to slow the response down. On the other hand I can certainly appreciate the need to raise the coach quickly to go over obstacles or clear tight approach angles.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote