Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Battery "Exploded"
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
bluesky

Default Battery "Exploded"

Hi folks

My chassis batteries have been low all summer so most of the time I started the coach by merging and using the house batteries. I plan on replacing all my batteries next spring.

I took my coach in to town today to wash and fill the gas tanks up for winter storage. On the way home, I noticed a sulfur smell from the back and assumed it was my black tank, as I still needed to add some solution.

When I parked the bus, I noticed smoke coming from the battery compartment and a very strong acidic smell. I noticed one of the battery caps was off and there was smoke coming from the open cell. A few minutes later there was loud bang and all the caps had blown off and the battery was severely cracked with acid pouring out.

Yikes, it's a mess. I disconnected the battery cables and I now am wondering what caused this to happen and to do next. My insurance runs out tomorrow so the coach is all winterized and ready for storage.

Should I leave the coach plugged into shoreline powder or totally disconnect until spring and then address the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote