Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - front AV airflow fans and thermostats for them
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
encantotom

Default front AV airflow fans and thermostats for them

hi,

my front AV cabinet and the side valence covers over the driver and passenger have 12vdc brushless fans that blow are over the crossovers for the sound system and there is an additional exact same fan on the windshield side of the front overhead tv cabinet to pull air through it.

they are controlled by two bimetal thermostats by therm-o-disc. they are supposed to turn on at 110 degrees F and turn off at 90 degrees F.

they had never been on till this weekend. it hit 105 today and inside the coach was definitely over 110 i am sure.

one of the bimetal thermostats closed and the fan in the tv cabinet turned on. it is a little noisy so i clearly heard it. louder than i would want to hear.

the other two fans (on on each side) did not turn on.

so, i got my trusty meter out and checked out how it was wired. there is a bimetal thermostat on each side of the cabinet. i showed a picture of the passenger side one and there is an identical one on the drivers side.

they are wired so that when either one of them turns on, it powers the 3 fans.

on mine, both of the side fans were not working. there was 12v to both of them.

the one inside the tv cabinet (of course it is not easy to get at as i will have to take the bottom of the cabinet out somehow) is very noisy.

so, i know how to make it work as it is supposed to. btw, the master 12dc switch at the entry door does NOT turn the power off to the fans.

here is my issue. it will likely be over 90 degrees for the rest of the summer (here till october) so the fans will never shut off while it is sitting in my driveway. it clearly was not set up to be where it is so hot for 6 months a year.

the other thing is that one of the bimetal thermostats was turning on and the other is not. not a big deal.

so...i could put a switch to it all. a switch to defeat the thermostat and then remember to turn it on....yea right.

now....the old plasma monitor i took out was a big heat generator. the new led set i will put in will be wayyy less. the old plasma was 400watts and the new led will be 100watts.

i know there is the amp and the dvd player and such. the amp i am putting in will be similarly powered to the marantz i am taking out. the marantz was a fine amp in its day but has no hdmi and i want to have full hdmi control. the amps are roughly 400 watts. the dvd players take almost nothing so they are not an issue. they draw 10-15watts.

then there is the sat box. it doesnt draw a lot of power either.

so when it was built, there was about 850-900 watts of power draw. when i am done redoing it there will be about 500 watts.

so i guess i am questioning myself as to if i even need the fans. there are no fans for the crossovers in the kitchen cabinet, over the dinette(desk) area or for the rear tv speakers. so why is there some over the driver and passenger seats?

so, i can fix them all to work right and have the fans on for 6 months a year or i can put a cutoff switch to the thermostats so they only come on if it is 110 degrees AND the switch is on if i remember to turn it on or i can just disable the whole thing and not worry about it since the power in the electronics will be about half of what it was when it was built.

just wondering what your opinions are.

thanks

tom
Attached Images

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote