Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Battery Disconnects
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
RussWhite

Well Bill - here is my 2 cents worth....

As far as current flow goes, it makes no difference which side of a battery is disconnected. If either side is truly disconected, no current flow - period!

There is no way your inverter should have kept supplying power if the house battery disconnect switch was opened. Not saying it didn't, just that it shouldn't. I had one occasion when my house disconnect clicked and I assumed it had opened, but it had not. It may be time for a new switch. If I were you I would keep at this one until I was convinced that when I opened the switch, the batteries were isolated and could not supply power. There may be a time when you want to shutdown all current quickly as you menitoned in some kind of an emergency.

Now I wondered about the negative side switching too and have my own theory. If you look at almost any battery bank there are more positive wires leaving running off to all kinds of places, than there are negative connections. I just theorized it was easier and involved less cables to open the side with fewer of them. But hey, it may be an airplane thing too.
I see a BMW bike in your signature. I have given up riding and my poor R1100RT just sits quicklly in the basement filled with good memories.
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote