Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Purchased 1997 last week
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
That's the current output. Have to take it apart and see if it goes back to a 475hp 8V92 or gets a I6 transplant.
Jon, you could start a whole documented thread on this subject and others might chime in that have or are going through the same scenario. People need to know that the biggest enemy to a DD 2-stroke is over-heating and why that becomes a problem and to learn all there is to learn when it comes to preventive maintenance. I know of 5 or 6 8v's in Newell's over the last 18 months that have bit the bullet and it shouldn't be happening like it has. It is usually a case of a later owner purchasing a Newell and not having pertinent documentation as to its maintenance history. When one doesn't know the maintenance history when acquiring a new to them coach, they need to go through the check off list prior to purchase that includes complete oil samples and then know if the radiator and all system having to do with the engine running at proper temps throughout any driving environment will be met by optimum performance during any use.

A couple of months ago I almost bought a '93 Newell that I really liked but the seller had told me the Newell's engine had gotten pretty hot driving it up over the grapevine from Southern Cal to Central Cal and that concerned me to the point in my mind I would plan on doing an engine swap before to long and probably to a 60 series. But of course knowing this, price must reflect the overall capitol investment. I made the seller an offer on the coach and thought we were close to a deal when someone not knowing what I understood about these engines payed the seller more. Basically my point is that older engines especially something like a DD 2-stroke can be a problem once it has experienced overheating. Otherwise these have been great engines for many owners and will continue to be if properly maintained.

Just my nickels worth and anyone else that may agree with me.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote